Monday, August 29, 2011

Getting the Most from Your Coach

My goal as a coach is to help you reach your athletic goals through education, mentoring, and creating highly customized training plans for you. In order for you to show positive growth in the direction of your goals, there are several things that will help us work together most productively. Here are some ideas for making the most from my coaching.

COMMUNICATION
The better I know how you respond to your training, the better I can create the best training plan for you. My coaching services are set up to allow, encourage, and foster high levels of communication. I will frequently check in with you via phone or email.

Communication is a two way street. To make the most of my coaching, I encourage you to actively keep me posted on how you are doing, and to be as honest as possible with yourself when doing so.

For example:

• If your schedule changes and you alter your training, let me know. If you have questions about how to make such alterations I will help you.

• If you know in advance, even a day or two that work or other factors may take up more of your time, let me know and I can help you to adjust your training in a way that will best keep you on the path to your goals.

• If you are feeling tired, DEFINITELY tell me. Fatigue is NOT a sign that you are training well, you are NOT on a good path to athlete improvement. Growth as an athlete is a function of the wise application of both training stresses and opportunities for recovery. An athlete who is on a good course should feel strong, energized, and eager to train. One of the most important things you can do to help me make sure your ongoing training load is appropriate for you is to tell me if your energy levels are low, especially if you are becoming sick.

HELPING YOU HELP YOURSELF
A training plan does not make great athletes. I take pride in putting thought into your training plan, ultimately it is up to you to go out and make your goals and dreams reality. Trust that you are receiving the highest quality training program designed to maximize your performance. However, it is WHAT YOU DO with the training information and other suggestions that really count. If you receive a plan that recommends, X, Y and Z you should do X, Y and Z unless you are too tired to do so, the conditions are too dangerous, or your schedule has changed and will not allow it. It is the EXECUTION of well-design training plans that will help you progress towards your goals. I welcome and will always use your feedback together with my knowledge and experience to create a plan that will best help you attain your goals. My role is to help you help yourself in your process as an athlete.

IT’S IN THE DETAILS
Pay attention to the details of your training plan. You monthly plan is developed with a larger picture in mind. Each workout is intended to establish specific aspects of your performance potential. The details, the type, duration, and intensity of training are important.

If you tell me that you feel like the workout is too easy or you are not doing enough of a particular kind of training I want to work TOGETHER with you to create the best course of action that takes you to your goals. If you are unsure why you are training a particular way, let me know and I will explain more clearly the reasons for the workout.

Please ask “why” if you don’t understand something. Informing you of “why” you are training a given way empowers you to execute your training with the greatest quality you can. This will create the best results for you.

If you decide on your own that the training plan is not right and slightly alter what you do, then you should know that you are not getting the most from my coaching. I recommend specific types, durations, and intensities to help you train to reach YOUR stated goals. You will be cheating yourself by not paying attention to the details of your prescribed training. Pay attention to the details and you will get the most from my coaching.

HEALTH IS YOUR #1 PRIORITY
There is NO way to perform at your best without optimal health. Health requires you to manage all the stressors in your life while allowing the optimal function and harmony of all your bodies systems. NO training program will foster ideal development or ideal performance if a person is stressed and unhealthy. This could be the result of a rough work situation, family life trouble, school trouble, poor nutritional habits, commute stress, or similar factors.

If you want to maximize your development and performance as an athlete, and make the most from my coaching, then make sure you do everything in your power to live as healthfully as possible.

I make a big effort to go way above and beyond simply the training aspect of conditioning for a sport. I encourage you to do all that you can to create and continually improve upon your overall health. I am excited at the opportunity to work with you help you to pursue your athletic goals.

Online Monthly Coaching
Please email me at any time if you have questions bout your health, fitness or sport.

Wendy Mader
www.t2coachign.com
www.getfit-getstrong-getfast-getwendy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment