Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Boulder Sunset Triathlon





When I signed up for the Tri For Your Cause Boulder Sunrise and Sunset triathlons back in December, I was interested in racing an Olympic-distance course that was not hilly like Loveland Lake to Lake and Boulder Peak. As a bonus, Athletes in Tandem was one of more than 100 not-for-profit organizations I could choose to fundraise for as a race participant. I chose AiT, a new organization started by my friend Dennis Vanderheiden, as my Tri For Your Cause charity.

I first got involved with AiT in April, pushing my first AiT partner at the Horsetooth Half Marathon (link to my race report). It was such an exhilarating experience, it made me want to do a triathlon with AiT and help raise money for more chairs, trailers and rafts so more athletes could participate in events and increase awareness.

The month of May was hectic – coaching Rocky Mountain High School and getting ready for Pelican Fest Triathlon as a race director. By the time the Boulder Sunrise came around on June 4th,I had done no fundraising and paid the $50 minimum fundraising amount so I could do the race.

July brought my second event with Athletes in Tandem. The Urban Assault.

August brought my third AiT event, the Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon (link to race report). This race was a great reminder to get my Tri For Your Cause fundraising page updated for the September Boulder Sunset, three weeks later.
Five days before this Olympic-distance event, Dennis asked me if I wanted to pull/push an athlete. I had only pushed a stroller twice, and had never pulled a raft or bike trailer. I figured there has to be a first time for everything, and this past Saturday Andrew and I completed the Boulder Sunset in 3.5 hours.

Thank you for all your donations to Athletes in Tandem. The $400 will help purchase another chair to pull behind a bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment