Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Road Vs Tri Bike

Last year I wrote a post about road vs tri bike. http://www.gotribalnow.com/expert/bike-fit-tri-vs-road. I revisited my article because I am in the position of changing bike sponsors with Team Timex for 2012 and comtemplating purchasing a road bike vs another tri bike. If you dont want to read more remember bike fit is most important when deciding on a bike to race on.

After 19 years racing triathlon I have only ridden a triathlon bike for the past three. I have been able to train on both my road and triathlon bike to compare fit, feel and comfort.

In 2009 I only road my tri bike. In 2010 I road both my tri and road bike equal amounts. In 2011 I primarily trained on my road bike and used the TT for races and once a week to stay accustomed to the difference in position. I am not a big fan of TT bikes. I was not prepared at how different the feel would be and was quite unnerved in no noticable difference in my performance and running off the bike. Here is my take on tri vs road geometry bikes.

Time Trial bikes are said to give you a 1-2 mph advantage. In my experience I did not find that significance between racing on my road and tri bike
Time Trial bikes geometry makes it easier to run off of the bike. I did not notice a difference

Getting you in the most aero position (like I was in 2009) possible is not necessarily going to result in the greatest speed. "Too aero" is when your power output drops because of your aero position and the benefits of being aero are overshadowed by pedalling with less power
Road bikes are friendly for group rides
Road bikes are that much more uncomfortable in general.
Road bike are better for aggressive handling/cornering
Road bikes handle better on downhill and powering uphill

Regardless of riding a road or tri bike if your objective is racing performance, buy a bike that gets your body in the most aero position without losing power (an areo road bike) and train on it for racing, one that fits and is comfortable. If you're going to race, you need to put time in the saddle, down in the aero position so you can build the strength necessary to do it comfortably.
I am selling my Orbea, let me know if you are interested. Size 51, carbon frame, bars, dura components, wheels and pedals not included. My new sponsor for 2012 is QR!

No comments:

Post a Comment